Dance & Hip Hop Music Examples

Tuesday 21 December 2010

Experimenting With Fonts

These are some example's of what style of fonts I may want to use. I didn't want to overdo it with too many ideas of fonts as it would be harder to narrow it down. I found these fonts on dafont.com which has various styles. 


The headings on the website helped me to narrow it down for what I was looking for. I found these fonts under the headings 'Retro' and 'Basic' and have split them into MASTHEAD and COVERLINES. With my genre being dance/hip hop the font CAN'T be 'groovy' or 'curly' styled. It needs to be bold, fierce and appeal to males and females. If I were to narrow it down some more for the MASTHEAD fonts I'd keep fonts 1,2,5 and 6. 


As for the cover lines, I want to keep them simple as I plan to use the cover line font as the text font in my magazine too. I quite liked the italic effect and wanted to experiment with that, however I think if I were to use it, it would be for smaller cover lines on the page as it could look out of place and not link with the music genre. Another thing I dislike is the curly C on the third cover line.

I put the fonts on this background to try out how it'll look. I wanted to create a strobe light effect and I added brightness as that's what I want to achieve on my magazine. I kept the colour simple for now and it's a good background colour to 'bounce' everything else off. So far I think I want the font colour to be black but that isn't my final decision.

1 comment:

  1. Some very good stuff here Emma. AS you have example chosen example as you artist to play over your mood board be careful with some of the images, I'm not sure the XX fit (a bit too low fi), Goldfrapp is ok as is Keisha. I may have imagined it but I think you've included The Lonely Island as well which I'm positive you don't want to associate with your magazine as people wont take it seriously.

    ReplyDelete