Dance & Hip Hop Music Examples

Tuesday 18 January 2011

Test Shots with Lucyann

Test shots help to chose and experiment with poses, positions etc and also to get used to using a camera and I have found that it has really helped and was easy to get into. I really enjoyed taking my test shots and took a variety of photos, so I’m looking forward to doing my final shots.



Test shots



My first picture is a mid shot of Lucyann. I think it fits the Trevor Millum ‘seductive’ pose because her eyes are less wide, her expression is confident with a hint of a ‘lips together’ smile and she looks cool and steady levelled. I have edited this photo slightly; defining the cheekbones, which I think looks effective as it’s what draws you into the photo. I didn’t specifically choose her clothing as it was only test shots, however the ‘hood up’ look adds to the cool/attitude effect which is what I want to achieve in my final shot. The photo is quite simple and I’m not sure whether it will reflect the personality of my artist in the final shots so I think I will look at this photo as an influence to what kind of editing I want to achieve.

In this second shot I’ve taken a close up of Lucyann. I love the angle, the positioning and the way her eyes are facing. I don’t like the smirk as it makes it look more comical and this doesn’t reflect my artist. The effect portrays Lucyann as dominant but with attitude and style.

The third shot is focusing on another different angle. I like the effect given from Lucyann leaning as it once again adds to the attitude. However I dislike the hood being up in this one and also the hands being in the pockets. I think this gives a bad effect. To me it comes across effortless, boring, and also rude. I also dislike the pose because it seems too serious. However I need to take into consideration that my artist (Eve) will be dressed more glamorously and the serious pose could tone it down slightly to create that cool effect.As I’ve said above, this fourth pose sets off the same effect as the third did. I dislike the angle too as it seems like an image of a person you would stereotype of living on a rough estate. It comes across unprofessional. However I do like the way the eyes are facing.

I love this fifth and sixth shot and I may consider using these styles of images on my double page spread because that’s where I will reveal more about the artist, so that readers can get to know her more and the pictures give off the first impression. The leaning forward and the subtle smile, tones down the attitude effect given from the hands being in the pockets. HOWEVER in some ways, I don’t think this is the right pose to portray my artists personality.

These two final poses are just fun, mid shots and long shots that I feel helped my model to loosen up and feel more confident. I need poses like this so that the picture doesn't look fake, too serious and forced such as the Trevor Millum Catalogue pose. I’m DEFIANTLY including a long shot such as the one here. I like the pose, positioning and facial expression. 

What the test shots revealed

An important factor that i now have to really work on is creating the right pose and look. I found it easy to use the camera and to choose and try out the angles, however i need to tell my model exactly how i want them to look. This includes facial expressions, the direction of eyes, their stance. I also need to consider the right colour clothing so that i stick to the 3 colour rule.

I wanted to take a range of cool , posing shots to experiment with the theme and style of my magazine. My test shot model is Lucyann and I took overall, about 40-50 photos of her. These are some that I picked out and analysed.

No comments:

Post a Comment