Dance & Hip Hop Music Examples

Saturday 18 December 2010

Colour Palettes

These are the Colours I have been looking at...




1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8


















I've chosen colours that compliment each other, but yet still stand out. The colours link with the music genre and I've gotten idea's from other music magazines, however I don't want to use colours that are commonly used. The front cover needs to stand out to really portray the music genre otherwise people won't realise. I've also picked colours that will match the model on the cover's clothes. I have an idea about specific clothes I want the model to wear so I've based the colours around this. I know that I want the model to be female so I've used colours such as the pinks, purples, that stereotypically represent females. However the third colour's that I've put with the pink/purples will overall bring the 'girly' look of the magazine down, and make it more original, formal looking and less gender based. Also I've thought about what colours will add to the effect of making my model look the more dominant in the photo. Light pinks, and 'innocent' colours will contrast the effect I want so I've stuck to more striking, cool colours.
So far ALL of the colour's stand out to me :)
After taking test shots(looking at make-up, hair, outfits) , and deciding on the font, the magazine title and layout I will decide what colour pallet to go for.

---------------------------------------------------------

The final colours that I've used thoughout my magazine are a burnt orange, a light brown (similiar to the colour on pallete 8) and also black and then a white background. I chose to keep the background white and use it as a blank canvas, then work colours off it. Through research of many hip hop/dance magazines I've found that orange was the common colour that represents hip hop. However I changed this slightly and used a more burnt orange to tone down the page. I also used the light brown to match with the models clothing. I felt that by using these colours it represented the genre well and didn't overpower my model. I wanted my model to look more natural instead of plastered in makeup as this represents the artists personality/background. Therefore the colours I've used don't overpower the model whichi in effect, keeps her the main focus. As you can see on my three first drafts, I've repeated the colours from the front cover on the contents and the double page spread. I felt that overall it looks quite smart, stylist but also bold which reflects my genre. I didn't go for the pinks and purples as these colours don't portray the genre, target audience, or the models image and personality. I felt that the pallete 3 colours, (especially the neon green) were too bright, and would cause my magazine to look unproffessional as they're not 'block' colours. Overall, to get my final colours, I picked certain colours out of the pallete and matched them up. Like I said in my pitch, 'I will look at colours depending on my artists image and clothing' and that's what I've done.

1 comment:

  1. A good start Emma. I like the way you are finding and explaining the things you'd like to try and do.

    When you come to use animoto to make your mood board use the following username and password

    user: lutterworthmedia11@gmail.com

    password: lutterw0rdmed1a11

    When making the moodboard remember to include music as well as images that will hopefully reflect what you want to achieve through your magazine.

    ReplyDelete