Dance & Hip Hop Music Examples

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Contents Page Mock Ups



After receiving feedback, it seems that the second mock up is the most popular. I think this is partly because the layout is clear, easy to read and also the colour scheme works well together. However I came to the conclusion after researching music magazines with similar genres to mine is that the dark colours won't work well on the page as a whole because it doesn't go with my genre. As Matt said, they grey colour pallet works well with the grey scale images, however I'm not certain if grey scale images would work with my genre and idea of photo shoot poses etc. I'm going to experiment with different colour photos with my final images too see how well it works with the page. I like the effect the images give off on the second mock up because they're bold and uncomplicated. I agree with Lucyann's comment that the first mock up is more my genre, therefore I've decided to use the second mock up's style of image and the first mock ups layout so that I create both effects from the two mock ups on one. I also agree with the comments relating to the fonts used. I feel that the font I've used looks unprofessional and doesn't fit with my genre. I also feel that it doesn't fit with my target audience. My target audience is more mature as their older, however the font I've used fits more of a younger audience targeted magazine, so I have changed my font and also made it smaller. Also the page numbers on the images (as advised) would look better without the white background so I have considered doing it without the background AND making it smaller. I like the size of the banners on mock up one and two, however I think it would look better if I make the banner at the top, slightly larger than the one at the bottom just to make it fit and look better on the page. I quite like the use of colours on all three as they're all bold and striking which reflect on my genre, however I'm going to look at my models clothing before making a final decision on what colours to use. Then after deciding, I will keep the same colour scheme throughout my magazine.
Another point is that the layout of the writing on my contents should be split up into about three columns so I'll have to make it more narrow. This will help to make it more professional looking and will help me to split the page up more. I think contents page's are based more on layout rather than images. If I get the images in the right place AND the right size, I can position the writing more professionally. For example, an image at the top, then writing below. Then I'd add images in the columns to split the writing up in smaller blocks.
To create a good contents I think the images must work well with the writing. There has to be a lot of writing because it's telling the reader about each page, therefore the images help to tone it down by making it more easy to the eye. So if I get the positioning and colours of the image right it will help make my contents page an easy read, which will appeal to the reader.
Initially my favourite was the third mock up but realistically I feel that this won't work because the main image of the person throwing a CD needs to be EVE T. I feel that an image of EVE like this will contrast the effect I want to achieve through the photos of her, therefore it won't work because it's portraying her personality different and also it's too powerful as a first impression.

3 comments:

  1. Yo, nice slideshow you got going on :) My faviourite is the second mock up, I think that the grey colour palette works well with the greyscale images. Although, I think the numbers would look better without the white background and if the writing was a smaller font. I think this would make it look more professional :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite out of the three contents would be the second one. I really like the colour scheme which is then contrasted with the red. You could maybe use a white/black font for the page numbers so it looks more professional rather than on the white background :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the colour scheme of the first one, dont like the use of the grey banners etc when there is a black and white photo however colour photos would be fine. Layout of the first one is more to your genre i think. Also not sure about the choice of font for your genre of music?

    ReplyDelete