Dance & Hip Hop Music Examples

Friday 4 February 2011

Representation of a Social Group

My character, Eve T is a white, heterosexual, female artist of the age of 19 from Leicester. She fits in with the 'late teens' social group. Her character is slightly fierce, and strong due to her background. She's middle to lower class, yet has a glamorous side which is shown through how she presents herself.

I want her to appeal to both men and women, yet I want her character to be dominant. Considering the male gaze, I want her to represent females as dominant and strong. I want girls and women to look at Eve as a role model. What you tend to see in pictures of women is that they come across vulnerable or appealing to men. This is the effect i do not want. I want to link her background (how she grew up), with her character so you kind of stereotype what she's like. For example, you assume someone who comes from a lower class background to speak at a low register and dress in things such as jumpers with hoods etc..
However to add to this, I want people to then be shocked when they see that she's also a very charming, classy and well presented character. My aim is to cause an element of surprise, and I'm doing this through the image (how she dresses, her look, etc), the artist profile and the article.

So my artist is: new, strong, has attitude, is glamorous, dedicated, a perfectionist, dominant and role model.

Her image that I will use portrays a more higher class because she will be dressed well, however her genre of music reflects her actual background. You wouldn't stereotype someone who was brought up in a non wealthy kind of background to look the way she does and you wouldn't stereotype a higher class person to produce the kind of music Eve does (hip hop/dance). So I'm mixing it up a bit.

The ideas I have for final shots should hopefully portray Eve as 'something new'. I don't want any shots with her looking down as this could link with status division, or it could falsely represent her.


With my test shots I wanted to create a sense of equality and to do this I specifically chose the photo angles. One thing I think you have to be care full of with photos is to prevent people from interpreting the image a different way than what you want. I want people to look up to Eve, however I don't want to do this through shots of her looking down because it's intimidating and people could look at it and feel 'below' the character. I also don't want Eve to look up (causing the reader to look down at her) as this reinforces her original status before becoming an artist.
The first test shot I feel gives a good effect. It fits the Trevor Millan 'seductive pose' but she still looks cool and steady levelled. People would look at it and feel 'brought in' by the image, however it is still dominant which relates with Eve's background and personality. This pose draws people in and it's what you need to do as it's a first impression.
The third test shot I feel represents the background of Eve more. You stereotype someone as 'middle to lower class' as people who hang on the streets, and lean on walls etc, and I feel this is what the picture portrays. Overall it gives a sense of mystery, which is what I want because referring back to the article...Eve is 'all about surprises'.
The leaning forward pose that I have also done in the test shots, to me, is effective. However I think I would do the leaning forward from a different camera angle and position. I feel this pose involves the reader, and it seems as though Eve is reaching out to the reader.

1 comment:

  1. Emma, I've not been able to sort out what you need. If you're forced to take pictures at home remember to use three light sources to create a well lit scene without any shadows. Look at Harry Tibbles blog for an example of what this should look like.

    ReplyDelete