Dance & Hip Hop Music Examples

Sunday 30 January 2011

Test Shots for the Contents Page



The purpose of doing these Test Shots for my Contents page was to experiment with images and get an idea of how I would place things on the contents page (get an idea of layout). I chose to use a male model because I feel that by using a male, it will help set the genre of my magazine and also make it appeal to both men and women (which is what I want). I think that if I use another image of a female on the contents page, the magazine will come across more pop like and my target audience won't be reached.
I chose to dress the model in hip hop style clothes, especially noticing the hoody, and the shoes. I also wanted to include a guitar. This was because I had looked at many magazines for inspiration and a lot of them tended to include a guitar. Also, an idea that sprung to mind was to create a 3D kind effect. If you look back at my contents page mock ups and also on my pitch, there is a contents page where an artist is throwing a record which overlaps onto the 'Contents' cover line. I really like this idea so I'm considering, for my final shots, to create the same effect, however replacing the record with a guitar.

I took 100-120 photos all together and narrowed them down to the ones I have on here...
Beginning with the first shot, I really like the black and white colour scheme, and also I like the pose and the angle. I think this image portrays a love for music and gives off feelings of inspiration. It fits in with my genre because it has the 'cool' effect.
I like the pose of the second shot, and the way the model is stood. However I don't like how the guitar is positioned. I dislike like how it points and I feel like the image doesn't come together because the end of the guitar is almost coming forward and I feel like it needs to be brought back into the image so that the model is the main focus rather than the guitar.
To begin with, I did like the third shot's angle. However after analysing it I don't think it works. The image is too complicated but also seems boring. I don't think it would work on my contents page.
I like the fourth shot, once again, partly because it's black and white. I think the black and white colour scheme makes it more professional and as a whole, looks better. If I was to do this again, I'd position the guitar slightly up towards the middle part of the picture, so that it isn't just hanging at the bottom.
I like this fifth pose because of the leaning forward positioning. I think this reflects the genre and has an attitude effect to it.
The sixth and seventh pose are slightly similar. However I prefer the seventh pose more than the sixth BUT I prefer the colour scheme on the sixth rather than the seventh. I think this pose would look good on the contents page. However my minds still set on using the 3D effect that I want.
The rest of the poses definitely portray my music genre and I think they go really well and would look good. I feel like I've got the clothing of the model just about ideal along with the poses. With the final image, I just wanted to try out a different angle, and brought the main focus on the shoes. However I don't plan to use an image like this on my contents.

Overall, doing these test shots gave me a general idea of what sort of images I want to use on the contents page and how I would use them on the layout. It's made me more confident with my genre as I managed to create the look that I feel is perfect for my magazine. I have compared some of the test shots with my contents magazine mock ups and I've got an idea of where they would go on the page. I feel that these kind of test shots I've taken would work better on the first and third contents page.

No comments:

Post a Comment